Thursday, March 28, 2013

AFSC - IMYM Joint Service Project


In 1996 my mother found an ad in the Friends Journal for a service project in Mexico and said she would pay if I wanted to go. This first trip to Trigo Moreno, into the Sierra Madre Mountains in Mexico, set me onto totally new paths and enriched my life in ways so interesting and deep that I am really thankful I chose to go. I’ve been back so many times now it totals years.

For me, the opportunities for self-reflection, reflection back onto life in America, reflection back into past life ways, the chance to perfect my Spanish language, the chance to make new friends from another world, led me to attend the University of Sonora for 1 year in 1998, and to continue to return to Mexico with a respect and admiration for the people and the culture.

I have developed a great interest in the regional history of NW Mexico, studied the plants and ecosystems, the current economy, broadened my travels in the region and feel like I have become a part of the story. I am no longer a mere visitor, an outside observer. I see Mexico from the inside and now, during this time of contention about immigration, I see the human face behind all the talk.

As well, these AFSC-IMYM projects have introduced me to dynamic and interesting people who are as much a cause for growth as going to Mexico itself. It is a great opportunity to associate and to measure one’s own thoughts against the depths of considered and deep Quakers and like-minded people. It is really fun to be in a mixed age group where all flavors of idealism and experience can be tasted.

All this above, mixed into real-world situations, just really stirs the pot and creates a context for a transformational experience. If life is not about growth and deepening, then what is it for?  To me, these projects represent the opportunity to find real quality and value. If you want the real deal, this is it. And as for flavors, this formula is simple but really satisfying. The simplicity magnifies, brings you to the essence, which is waiting to be discovered, you choose to drink or not, modern camouflage is stripped away and what is left can potentially be clear insight, meaningful growth and transformation.

I really support this program and the leadership of Mike Gray and would encourage anyone interested to find out for themselves or to contribute that which they may.




No comments:

Post a Comment