Thursday, February 21, 2013

La Mesa de Abajo, November 2001


Fred Allebach 11/6/01

Going to Mexico
Before crossing the border I could feel my Spanish start to well up in anticipation of a sea change in my surroundings. I feel at home in Mexico, immediately then, I made friends with 2 or 3 folks at the 21 kilometer checkpoint, went to a store in Magdalena where the dueña remembered me from last year. A lot came back to me quickly. Even though I am a gringo, I have an alter identity that is part Mexican, that knows and appreciates the life ways there. When we got to the Sierra, Iris observed that “all the words run together”, that she can understand TV Spanish but this Sierra accent was tough for her to get. Se comen las palabras. Even though Panchita in Hermosillo can talk faster than anyone I’ve ever heard, she articulates so well she can be mostly understood. In the Sierra when they talk fast or mumble, you are lost. I bend my ear and catch the gist of it, better as the days go by. After a year of studying Spanish in Hermosillo in 1998, I went to the Sierra alone and found I could barely understand anything. Now I am speaking with something of a Sierra accent myself. Apparently 16th century Spanish has been frozen in the Sierra, due to lack of contacts, the people there speak Spanish as it may have been 400 or more years ago.

The fields were green and the desert too, more than around Tucson, effects of the recent hurricane rains.  The hurricane blew out Guaymas and San Carlos, causing much damage. The storm did get to the Sierra but with less strength. Arriving in Hermosillo, mi domecilio, I navigated and remembered many places and the people connected with them. Especially nice were the sincere smiles and attention of Lucy’s family. As the group debriefed I talked with Lucy (Luz Maria Sandoval Navarro)  for a good while and caught up on the news, many people to ask about that were/ are part of my net down there. 

I flash on how Americans in many respects keep themselves hidden interpersonally, holding cards close, reticent, guarded, calculated, well, that is a large generalization, perhaps a better sweep is that northern Mexicans live out front, en la calle, much more socially oriented, Americans stay inside, in their back yard, shades drawn. It’s a public/ private thing.

Adéle Miraz Lopez (52 years old)
Her eyes are only a little better, muy poco she said, after two operations. She has kidney problems, problems with salt and swelling of her legs from fluid retention. The doctor says her eyes will recover only very slowly. She is due for another doctors date in Hermosillo on November 12th. Lucy has helped her by getting used clothes for her to sell at the flea market in Yécora and has visited her a number of times in Yécora. We brought up a big duffle bag and two large boxes of clothes for her. Adéle doesn’t always have the resources to get her medications, has a poor diet, her husband Lupeto is an alcoholic but with a heart of gold. Her kitchen is a mess of food all over the floor, flies, trashed back yard, not hygienic in the least bit. I walked in and found her out back doing dishes, knowing she couldn’t see, I said “hola Adéle, Johnny Machaca está” and she responded with delight, “ay, Machaca” and a big hug. After a brief bit of felicity at our arrival, she broke the news that Carlos had died three days earlier in a car accident, he was cut in two and that things in Trigo were muy triste ahora. That makes Hilario and now Carlos that I will visit in the cemetery at Trigo Moreno. Carlos was the husband of Iréne, whose house we made pastries in and who had the cute daughters peeking from behind the curtain. Adéle said that her blood sugar is under control.

Adéle and I have been friends for a while, since my first Trigo project in 1996. I stayed with her for ten days during the Semana Santa in Yécora in 1998. She is very religious, yet resigned and accepting of her fate, lo que Díos bendiga. She is surely suffering, yet she carries on through what life has delivered her. I suppose people need to find some way to name and handle life’s changes, it’s coming at you. How interesting the ways in which people see it.

Puerta de La Cruz to Bermudes
The road in was way rough, extremely rough, we had to go really slow with new vans that had very low clearance. My truck did fine. At la casa de la Doña Tila we were invited in for coffee and as I sat at the table there was a bowl with what looked like sugar, but it was salt, I loaded in a big spoonful for the rest of the drive, took a sip and whoa!, everyone got a good laugh from that. One of the sons had cut his leg with a chainsaw and had a big bandage with a bloody spot, ni modo, he was smiling and life went on. We had Doña Tila call Mesa de Abajo on the CB radio and found that José Luis was in El Cordón, the Doña called there and José Luis came down to get us in his cattle truck. He arrived and we loaded in all the gear, saving some for my truck to give traction. On the way up I needed to stay close so as to not lose my way and sucked a lot of dust. The truck was beaten badly on the rocks and I got a flat tire. We arrived in La Mesa to a nice welcome, even though everyone was asleep. Rosa made us quesadillas and we got settled in for the night.

Bean Harvest
We wake up early to go harvest beans, in rocky fields, some group people with some families, trying to mete out our resources with their needs. There are politics involved as to who gets the most labor out of the gringos, it is a delicate matter. I wake at 5:AM, the stars are out, the moon, full moon, so nice, full of nature, yet people too.  The vistas of the Sierra were grand and clear, the air still and tranquil, crisp and beautiful. The sunrises are so clean and subtle, the Sierra stretches in all directions. We walked a song to the rhythm of the harvest. The harvesting starts as early as possible, at daybreak when the dew and humidity are high and the beans don’t pop open. You pull the beans out by the main stalk, grabbing as many as you can in one hand, not worrying if you get other plants in there as well. Many times the beans are hidden by tall grass and other plants and you have to feel down in there, listen for the sound of a bean plant and grab it sight unseen. You need to get them all and not step on any either. The roots should all be pointing the same direction. Then you transfer the bunch to the other hand and repeat the process until the other hand is full of beans, in a good size bundle, with all roots in the center of the bundle, which is then laid down in rows along lines of corn that is especially planted in rows for markers, for more efficient picking and placement of the harvested bundles. The bundles are laid down roots up, so that later when you go to grab them for threshing, they all hang together. When enough beans are out in bundles, it is time to thresh. We go out with small tarps and stuff in as many bean bundles as possible and then carry them back to a truck or to a way bigger tarp laid out in the field. Either back at home or in the field, the beans are laid out in an even pile all along the big tarp maybe 20 to 30 feet long. The tarps are made from fiberglass sacks sewn together in a huge quilt. Then they drive over the pile back and forth with the cattle truck to break open the pods. After the first series of passes, special wooden forked sticks are used to thresh the husks, which are thrown up into the air and the beans fall to the bottom. The whole mass is threshed with care taken to pick up all the plants and throw them in the air. Then the pile is arranged again and the truck driven over in another series of passes, which by then, has the whole mass pretty well flattened. Now, the final threshing, after which the husks are taken to storage sheds for cattle feed. What is left is a lot of beans with fine chaff, which is broomed up with cut, green leafed branches of oak or cussi. Then the tarp is pulled up and the beans fall to the center in a big pile. A three gallon metal container is used to pour the beans into a canvas or metal pail, where the wind then separates the fine chaff out. This goes on and on until the men decide that it is clean enough. (The families do the final cleaning in the kitchen, separating out bad beans and rocks. The beans are mostly all bayos, greenish in color, but some look like pintos, others red, others slick grey and some black. The variety is fun to look at and I picked through the piles as if I was hunting sea shells.) Different guys go about the process differently, José Luis being the best I saw. Three 3 gallon containers make up a sack that weighs about 100 pounds. The pouring of the beans into the sack is meticulous, as the quantity is known and later used as a measure for resale or sharing among families. Different folks really like the bayo beans, others like pinto or mayocoba, people will pay more for beans they like and the villagers know what regions like their beans and where they will get the highest price. It generally takes about three sacks to feed a family of four for a year and two to three sacks to use for sowing the next year. They save some sacks out for bad years and sell the rest. Off in the distance are fields of harvested corn set into circular bundles called monos. The monos really catch a feeling of being in touch with 1000's of years of harvesting, straight out of a Peter Breugal painting, the men walking through the fields with huge bundles of beans over their backs. The corn bundles dot the fields near and far, appearing as if to be people, entities.

On my first day of harvesting, I had breakfast at José Luis’. Rosa cooked eggs, with homemade cheese, butter,  beans and tortillas, with the ever present instant coffee and sugar. They all are way curious what we have to say about el bin Laden y el Taliban. Everyone wants to know what I think and I give them my two cents worth. After a good chat and question and answer session, I went out and Tomás and I fixed our flat tires, mine with glue and a big screw into the hole. Walking out to the street, Eberrardo and Máximo drove by and invited me to go thresh. I went and afterwards was invited to Máximos house where Elea cooked up an incredibly good meal of steak, tamales de elote, limes, cheese, salsa, and coffee with fresh milk. Others trickled in to convivir with el Fred, la Doña Elvira, Hector y otros, more platíca about the terrorists, after which we went and threshed out 600 pounds of beans. Others were nearby milling corn stalks for cattle feed, the mill was run by an old truck engine that one guy had to keep pouring water on the radiator so it wouldn’t over heat. After we were done, Máximo took me to his nearby corn field and gave me enough corn to feed the group for dinner. The corn is distinctive to the region, one of the many varieties of distinct types of corn in Mexico.

I had a sense of being immersed in a universal stream of the harvest, the cornfields and monos stacked against the mountains and valleys, the meals of food all grown and processed right here. With my recent readings about the history of plant domestication, it was like taking me back 7000 years, through generation upon generation upon generation of people working hard, in a simple and direct life, laughter, enmeshed, all together, working for a lifetime.

After dinner we had some sing-a-long with guitar and nice versions of Shenandoah Lullaby and Down in the Valley. We are welcomed to the village and willing to participate, pleasantly tired and sore after a day’s work.

The Other Side of Town/ La Gente Para Allá
We have stayed so far only on the Clark Moore side of town. The gente para allá are Clark Villas, very friendly and probably somewhat jealous that they don’t get to host the gringos in their homes. I get the sense that there are some differences among them, but they all visit and talk, so it is hard to call just what level it’s at. They are cousins but not first cousins. There is blood there but not thick as with brothers, sisters and first cousins. A Clark Moore woman, Dora is married to Sigifredo Clark Villa, the matriarch of the Clark Villas is the sister of the matriarch of the Clark Moores. I suppose there is not much more to it than basic human stuff, no mystery.

La Casa de Tavo y Maria
I love the feeling I get from this family, the kids, Octavito and Beto and the parents, Tavo and Maria. This is my house here. I have my same old bed, the same bed Norman Krekler slept in when he came here. I’m treated to a clear and open friendship. Tavo and Maria are in Cuatémoc now for Tavo to maybe have an operation on his eye, hopefully they will be back soon, as they are my family.

Days later: Tavo and Maria will be back soon. Beto went to get them in Bermudes. I wait on the front porch under the moon, alone, in the shadow of oak tree branches.  The light from the chapel flickers, animals call. A light wind blows. La Mesa de Abajo will be complete for me now. The people here can hear a truck coming for miles away, and anytime a truck comes in to town everyone makes a point to go out and see who it might be.

Upon returning from Cuatémoc, everyone came over to here the stories, which they regaled upon the neighbors, the sights, sounds and social contexts. They bought Octavito a new pair of boots, and as he opened the package, he flashed a smile at his dad that was so open, sincere, genuine, that it was surprising to me, the level of confidence and intimacy, none of this teen rebellion stuff or alienation. They sit sometimes, Octavito holding his mothers hand as they talk. He is 18 years old.

One day Maria accidentally put sugar water from the chayote (a kind of vine which gives a fruit covered with spikes, looks like a spiked, green kidney, which is cooked like a potato and then soaked in sugar water and eaten with milk. Chayote is the word for squash in some central American countries, but squash is calabaza in Mexico) into the beans. When Tavo tasted it he immediately protested that the beans were sweet, I noticed it too but said nothing,  Beto put up a fuss too. Maria denied that there was anything out of the ordinary, but the protests mounted until she finally admitted what happened. Then the men went on about how it would make them sick. They regaled me to complain too but I took Maria’s side and pointed out that it was all the same in our stomachs, the sugar from the coffee, the beans, and how they better not press her too far or she would make life difficult for them. The joke went on all day, ¡azúcar en los frijoles, que bárbaro!

Tavo and Maria’s oldest son, René, crossed illegally to the US seven months ago and is now working in Albuquerque. They have bought a cell phone with an antenna, which they then buy a phone card for, to receive the call. The calls won’t transmit to or from la Mesa, so they have to drive up to a hill to take the call. René calls Radio Alegría in Cd. Obregón to give an announcement of when he will call. The people in the country listen daily for the news at noon, which the station provides as a service for folks with no phones out in the country. Here comes the announcement, a la familia Clark Clark, René will call at 7:PM. They ask, “is it the same time in Albuquerque as here?” They were all excited, very sweet, if the INS could only see the lives behind the folks they deal with.

I met Emilio Clark Moore, the only brother I hadn’t met yet, as he came up for the Day of the Dead. We hit it off and he managed to get my big flashlight off me in exchange for his old flashlight and 50 pesos. I came up 15 dollars short, but gained an invite to visit his ranch in Rosario, near Cd. Obregón, where he has a carnercería or butcher shop. He has an eligible daughter. Visiting him would allow me to get to know Obregón and meet all of the net down there, which would open Sonora up a lot for me. These folks are so friendly and giving, I love it.

Are You Married?
As usual, they all ask if I am married or have a girlfriend, no pues, pero estoy buscandola. Do you have any brothers or sisters? Where are your parents? They want to get a line on where I stand socially. It makes me feel way disconnected. I suppose that’s why I felt so bad about Diana. I thought I was about to be really connected. I dread the potential silence of being an individual in America.

The idea that people are divorced and yet going for more is intensely interesting to the people here. How does your church handle that? What is the process? They want to get a line on that it is OK, how it is OK, why it is OK. Indeed some folks on the project were not married yet pretended to be, so they would not have to deal with the flack, or maybe so they could sleep together. Contrast the intense interest in who is married and who is divorced with a great Mexican promiscuity under the top of these formal values, these guys getting crushes on 14 year old girls, talking about sex and girls, la casa chica, Roberto’s father and father in law combining to father over 70 kids by 25 or more different women. Then they can go to church and it will all be OK. The cultural overlay concerning marriage and social context is really not that different from the US, there is the formal level and then the ways that people find their way around it.

Daniel was great to give me insights I hadn’t seen, picking beans and finding out what it means. It’s a nice guy who can build you up. I made a nice connection with him.

Mike and Candy
It was funny to watch Candy tailgate Mike the whole way up here, pretty close, not safe. It scared some of the girls but I don’t think they told Candy. The lovey dovey stuff was unseemly for co-leaders, especially considering the prohibition of sex on the project, as it was obvious to all that the leaders couldn’t wait to get off by themselves. The smooching in the morning, the sounds of which reached the girls, one of whom told me that they were doing it and she had to listen. As well, the intense focus of the co-leaders on each other made for a feeling that they weren’t available to give quality time to other group members. This is a combination of feedback I got from other people in the group, my own observations as well as Mesa de Abajo people. Where are Mike and Candy? Caminando, heh, heh, heh. I can’t begrudge someone their sweetness, it is very compelling and I understand. I’d be wanting to be there myself, perhaps in a less obvious manner. A Quaker work project is just not the right time and place for such an apparent indulgence, keep it cooler, but how to put out such a fire and be co-leaders at the same time?

As well, this particular group never gelled as a group, each sub-group was off unto itself, not giving more than necessary to create something bigger, we never had a worship sharing or group meeting, the threads never got sewn or people didn’t want to give at that level. So, focusing on the level of participation is a non-issue here, it didn’t matter because all seemed to be happy to stay in their own movies. The primary participation was within subgroups and them with particular segments of village people, young with young, old with old, love with love, floaters with all, connections got made.

What They Want
I have a list of things people want me to bring back when I go back this winter: Swiss Army knives, tongs for the kitchen of Tomás and Enerina, a guitar for Gabriel, hand rolling tobacco for Don Facundo, sweet corn seed, paint (fuscia green, cream/ 100% acrylic semi-gloss), caulk, dry wall mud for me to paint Tavo and Maria’s kitchen and sitting room.

Do Arabs Speak English?
This is a further ramification of the question “do Black people speak English?” Do Chinese people speak English? Can you understand Chinese? They just don’t know what is going on out there, outside their genuine little world. The innocence of the questions is charming and lets me know that I am dealing with folks who would never understand a lot of the things I might have to say, or it would stretch them in ways that would change their innocence. They talk on and on about cows, (cattle and horses rule, environmentalists would have a hard time seeing outside their box with these people) grass, beans, worms, the weather, calves, what happened to who, all in the immediate sphere, all with an elegance and dignity and sincerity foreign to more fragmented folks. I talk about topics, things more abstract. I suppose it is all just talk, just different material to talk about. It is the content which differs, but not the impulse or the need.

Rosemary said she wants exactly what these people have, community and relatives. It’s what the hippy thing was all about, trying to recapture some sincerity in a world which stresses more an individual trajectory. After telling Jesús about how playing the game of getting by in the US is like spinning your wheels, if you are a low income earner, he said, “well, I don’t want to go there now.” I tried to tell these guys they had it made, they were self-sufficient to a high degree, why throw that away for a cash economy and isolation?

Manuel got going one day about the different classes of mestizos and all the different names. I know that is a part of Mexican history a lot of people would like to forget, like the words nigger etc in English. Manuel innocently divulged that when he sees people, he immediately classifies them as to their blood and how the people in La Mesa de Abajo are less mestizaje, puro sangre, like the hispanos of northern New Mexico. He asked what we call a cross between a gringa and a Mexican? He told me that Mexicans can take Indian wives but it doesn’t work the other way around, Indian men don’t take Mexican wives. Just like male wolves mate with female coyotes but not the other way around.

Ensconced in the Kitchen
A great part of the whole scene is the “come on in, sit down, have a chair, do you want some coffee?” These folks are incredibly hospitable, plying you with food until you pop, “have some more, have some butter, some chayote?” The women ply you with food. After you are done they immediately want to give you more, the tortillas come off the wood stove for you to enjoy a hot tortilla with every bite. Some chiltepine? Some more cheese? How about some honey on that tortilla? There is a great sense of belonging, of being immersed in a warm, accepting, laughing and arguing net of friends and family. I drank all the water and ate all the food, not a drop of purified water the whole time. Never got sick.

Dogs
They only have male dogs in town. They buy them from Yécora or Cd. Obregón. They don’t want to deal with puppies, too much food and too much hassle, plus, the macho dogs guard better. Gerrardo’s dogs are some type of pit bull mix, with cut ears and tails to emphasize their aggressiveness, as the ears always appear erect/ aggressive posture and the tail cut so you can’t see it wagging/ i.e. friendly. Tuso, Gerrardo’s big dog bit Doña Elvira and has all the gente para allá scared to death to walk uptown, to even go to the chapel alone, so they only come up in groups. Tomás Clark Villa really went off to me one day about the dogs, how he was going to kill them with a machete if there was one more incident. It reminds me of the constant hassle of dogs, barking, biting, pissing and how people struggle with their neighbor’s dogs, all over the world.

On the animal theme, a mule is a cross between a mare and a jack burro, a hinny is a cross between a stallion and a jenny burro. In Spanish, a hinny is burrera.

Shady Groves
There are very subtle and nice oak groves of dappled sunlight and complex shadows from the random yet ordered pattern of the branches. The greens mixed with the shadows and arroyos just take me. So nice and cool, magical, as if leprechauns and elves may just come out. We had Meeting in one, a perfect meditation place. The days pass in a flash, full of work, conviviality and nature.

Heavy Women
Heavy Mexican women have no shame for their bodies, no embarrassment, they dress in as tight clothes as any. Panchita came out in her night gown in the morning, in Hermosillo and hung out with no false modesty. Mexican guys like big girls with big fat asses. Contrast this with the US, with a preoccupation with slimness and you see that it is not universal, who is hot and who is not. At my middle age, shape becomes less important than who is inside that shape. The package becomes more important than the wrapping. Cultures with few resources value being heavy while cultures with many resources value slimness. From the premise ramifies the desire. What rama do you fy?

Families of Mesa de Abajo, El Cordón and Bermudes
ancestors who came from North Carolina at around time of Civil War:
-Emilio Clark (grandparent of Doña Tila (Otila) in Bermudes
-Thomas Moore
-Guillermo Clark
-David DeMoss came later than the three original immigrants

-Maria told me that the two original Clark immigrants had the same last name but were not related, thus Maria is from one Clark family and Tavo from another, Maria from Guillermo and Tavo from Emilio, this could however, be a fiction, as Beto has birth defects and Pancho, son of Tomás Clark Villa, also has birth defects, she might know of this effect of inbreeding and be trying to cover for it. The people to ask about the village history are Pancho, who has written a book about it, Don Emeterio from El Cordón and another sister of Doña Locha who lives on a nearby ranch.

parents of Tavo:
-Eloisa (Locha) Moore DeMoss (currently 80 years old, looks ancient)
-Jesus Clark Garcia (deceased, Pancho’s picture with him in every house is because it was the last picture taken of Jesus)

sons and families of above, in Mesa de Abajo
Octavio (Tavo) Clark Moore
Maria Clark Valenzuela (sister of Manuel in Bermudes)
Alalberto (Beto) Clark Clark
Octavio (Octavito) Clark Clark
René Clark Clark (first villager to go to USA, in Albuquerque)

José Luis Clark Moore
Rosa Estella Amado Valenzuela
Esmeralda Clark Amado (little girl)
Victor Hugo Clark Amado (doing a year of service for school scholarship)
Esmundo Clark Amado (same as above)

Tomás Clark Moore
Enerina García Herrera
Liliana Clark García
Briseada Clark García
Gabriel Clark García

Gerrardo Clark Moore
Blanca Beltrán Ochoa
Samuel Clark Beltrán
Hernán Clark Beltrán

related families in Mesa de Abajo
Hector Clark Villa
Elvira Moore DeMoss (sister of Eloisa/Locha  Moore DeMoss)
Eberrardo Clark Moore (son of Elvira, cousin of Tavo)
Alba Duarte Hernández
Eberrardo Clark Duarte
Elizabet Clark Duarte

Máximo Clark Moore (son of Elvira, cousin of Tavo)
Elea Hernández Gonzales
Asusena Clark Hernández
Fernando Clark Hernández

Tomás Clark Villa (wants to have groups at his house, a big house, very industrious)
Beatriz Clark DeMoss
Francisco (Pancho) Clark Clark (school teacher)

Sigifredo Clark Villa
Dora Clark Moore (sister of Tavo)

other family in Mesa de Abajo
Facundo Lopez Quintero
Jesús Lopez García (child of Facundo’s brother)
Luz Clark García (unmarried, sister of Emeterio Clark García from El Cordón)
Candida Clark García (same as above)

family from Bermudes
Manuel Gilberto Clark Valenzuela (brother of María)
Otila (Tila) DeMoss Clark
Manuel Clark DeMoss ( accompanied René Clark Clark to Albuquerque)

families in El Cordón
Emeterio Clark García (brother of Tavo’s father?)
Matilda Alday Valenzuela

José María (Chemelay) Clark Alday
Teresa Amado Valenzuela (sister of Rosa Estella)
Heremita Clark Amado
Marco Clark Amado

No comments:

Post a Comment