Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Popocatepetl Volcano hike, 1982


                                                                                        Mexico City, June 27th , 1982

Dear Mom and Dad,

This weekend, a group of 10 students, all Americans (from the Big Ten mid-western universities attending summer school at Universidad Ibero, Mexico City, Mexico), organized a trip to the Popocatepetl volcano natural forest, located about 40 miles southeast of Mexico City.  Popo,-as it is known- meaning “smoking mountain” (17,887 feet) is one of two twin volcanoes, the other being Iztaccihuatl(17,343 feet). Popo is the second highest peak in Mexico behind Pico de Orizaba (18,405). It has “volcanic” status, major eruptions were in 1702, and the 1920's; other eruptions occurred in 1947, 1994 and 2000.

The first recorded date of ascent of the mountain was in 1289, by the Tecuanipas tribe. The first Spanish ascent was an expedition led by Diego de Ordaz in 1519.  Emperor Moctezuma sent ten warriors to climb the mountain and only two survived the climb.

This was not a university trip, so we had to figure out how to get there and not get ripped off by the Mexican bus and cab drivers. So I paid 125 pesos (48 pesos to the dollar) to get to the Tapo bus station from where we live on Cerso Chiquihuite and then 49 pesos for the bus to Amecameca, and another 50 pesos from Amecameca to the hostel at the base of Popo, (14,000 feet).

Amecameca is your classic small village with a great old Spanish church on the square. There were burros in the street, horses, cows, sheep, little kids staring at you from two feet away.  Maybe we were the first gringos they ever saw.

The ride up the volcano was fantastic, through forests, cornfields and more small villages; a magnificent view from a very good road.  The hostel was gratifying beyond expectation; very modern, with great hot showers, a restaurant and windows all facing the snow capped crown of either Popo or Izta.  We had bunks with blankets and sheets, and played guitars with the Mexicans.  We arrived about 5 p.m. and went to sleep pretty early.

Everybody except me decided to wake at 2:30 in the morning and go watch the sun rise from a place half way to the top of Popo.  As it turned out, they had a pretty bad time of it, returned at 7:30 a.m. and went to sleep at which time I got up, determined to make an assault on Popo by myself.

At 14,000 feet every step is an exertion and I was forced to take baby steps.   The final climb, from 14,000 to 18,000 feet (17,887') is pretty much all on black volcanic sand and walking is not very easy.
I made it up half way to a hut called Las Cruces (the Crosses) where there are a bunch of graves of people who didn’t make it.  There I met two Mexicans who gave me a ham sandwich and some water.  We decided to go for it together, up to the crater but they quit pretty quickly and after awhile they became little specks on the black sand behind me.

Now let me tell you, this was the hardest thing I have ever done.  From Las Cruces to the summit is a steep incline through sticking sand and snow and remains of mud slides, and the air thins out fast, making it impossible to go more that 5 yards at a time without sitting down and resting. It was incredibly exhausting.   I was dizzy and had a throbbing headache. My muscles ached but I felt since I had made it that far, I could never forgive myself for not going all the way. I will say that I was a bit scared, but I was determined that no Popo was going to do me in!

                                                                                                                                                   Page 2

At the top, the last 300 yards was total agony; it was the steepest part of the climb and I was more tired       
than ever but I finally made it to the rim of the crater. It was a big crater and I didn’t expect there to be any action inside, but down in the crater were bubbling pools of lava and sulfur gas clouds were stinking up the whole place.  It was truly awesome, like hell in a hole.   I expected just a dead crater and was definitely freaked out to see all those pools of yellow muck and gas clouds and plumes coming out of the sides and the bottom of the crater.

Not ever having been to 18,000 feet on solid earth, I found the views spectacular and the vistas endless. I was above all the clouds, like in an airplane. I could see the top of Ixta rising out of the cloud The whole scene  had a kind of dreamlike quality.  In time, I began to wonder how I could find the energy to get back down, not wanting to be caught in an evening snowstorm that seemed to be brewing.  I walked all around the crater, taking everything in, conscious of the primeval forces of the earth.  Finally I got to a place that looked good for a rapid descent through the sand.  I drank in the view, gazed for one last time into the crater and started down.   This was really fun. Four thousand feet of downhill frolic in the sand!  The same steep slopes I had just struggled up, I was now with little or no effort gliding down and down, jumping like a kangaroo or zigzagging back and forth, sliding, falling onto my butt in a big skid, and kind of whimsically thinking about Tarzan outrunning the lava flow with Jane in his arms or more realistically how fast I could run if the boiling volcano decided to throw up.

When I got down to about 16,000 feet, I met the Mexicans again, sitting in the sand.  With my relatively primitive Spanish, I told them all about the crater and the view; they seemed to be inspired and decided to go for it again.  I hope they made it, because it snowed really hard that night and they just had one sleeping bag.

It took me about two hours to get down from the top and six hours to go up.  It was a total of twelve miles altogether and when I finally got back to the hostel, I must have looked like I had been to hell and back.  I could hardly walk, had a throbbing headache but I took a long hot shower and popped a few extra strength Tylenols afterwards and ate a burger and fries at the restaurant. It felt really good, having conquered the volcano and experiencing a few firsts: climbed to 18,000 feet, saw a live volcano churning away and pushed myself near the limits of my endurance, and came through with even more confidence in my mountain climbing.

My face was burned to a crisp and I learned that the sun’s rays are stronger at higher altitudes.  I just didn’t realize how cooked I was getting, it wasn’t really hot, and it wasn’t particularly cold, but my face was oozing and cracked like a fried pig skin and it really hurt.  But soon it would peel and be back to normal.

On the bus back down to Amecameca, we saw a car that had skidded off the road and was way down in the bushes (everybody was OK) and farther down, a dead man lying beside the road.  All along the road were Indian women with lean-tos, selling tortillas and soda pop.  There was a big sign down at the bottom, near Amecameca, that said La Fuerza de La Razon (the Force of Reason) and there were about 30 Indian kids throwing rocks at it.  The national elections are July 4th and this sign was for Miguel de La Madrid, who was hand picked by Lopez-Portillo (then the President), and will most certainly win.  There are other parties, but they are financed by the major party, which always wins.

Sunday is market day in Amecameca and we checked it all out.  There was an incredible amount of food: all kinds of fruit, meat (pig heads), fish, fowl, fried pig skins, beans, bread, you name it... clothing, doo-dads, blankets and live parrots.
                                                                                                                                    Page 3



                                                                                                                                                   
On the trolley bus on the way back, an old man got on and started to play the violin and there was a little
kid playing the guitar, afterwards they collected their pesos; there are people everywhere doing anything they can to make money, swallowing fire at street corners, selling this or that and begging.

Love,
       Fred

(Frederick C. Allebach)  




No comments:

Post a Comment